Skip to Main Content

Information for Tutors

Our center offers one-on-one and small-group tutoring in most first and second-level courses, so mainly 100 and 200-level except for a few exceptions. All tutors are UMBC students with at least a 3.0 GPA and 28 credits, who have been recommended by an instructor and have agreed to go through our certified training program.

Tutors are expected to:

  • Attend mandatory tutor training sessions or tutor meetings as appropriate.
  • Model and teach appropriate learning and study techniques to students to encourage independent learning.
  • Adjust tutoring techniques to allow for students’ diversity.
  • Be committed to tutoring for the entire semester(s) of employment.
  • Complete all record-keeping tasks in an accurate and timely manner.
  • Encourage students to follow attendance and cancellation procedures and to complete evaluations as they become available.
  • Refer all problems and concerns, particularly student issues that are non-academic, to their supervisor.

If you would like to be a tutor, please fill out a Tutor Application

If you have questions about becoming a tutor, please contact:

We typically hire students at the beginning and end of each semester. Once you submit an application, it will be forwarded to the appropriate coordinator and, depending on demand for tutoring in your subject area, the coordinator may call you in for an interview. If you do not hear from us after submitting an application, please feel free to email us, to check the status of your application.

If you are hired, you will need to complete Level 1 of CRLA Training. If you have specific questions, contact Ira Fabri.



You will also need to submit appropriate payroll forms. In order to be placed onto ASC/UMBC payroll, please gather the materials below. If you work for another department on the UMBC Campus, please let us know that first. Otherwise, you will need the below documents:

FOR U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens:

  1. Driver’s License or ID card issued by the state, with photograph.
  2. UMBC School I.D. card, with photograph.
  3. Social Security Card. You cannot be employed without this card.
    • If you do not have a Social Security card, because you are an international student, please visit the office of “International Education Services ”
      ( located in the Administration Building, 2nd floor, Room 224. Campus phone number for IES is 410.455.2624.
    • If you are a US citizen and do not have a social security card, you will have to obtain the necessary forms and report to the Social Security Administration in Columbia or Woodlawn.
  4. U.S. Visa Passport (for Permanent Residents, F1, J1, H1 and non-resident aliens.)
  5. Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form 1-551 stamp).
  6. An unexpired foreign passport with a temporary I-551 stamp.
  7. Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State and/or proof of birth country if other than the U.S.
  8. If under 18, please submit a WORK PERMIT signed by a parent or legal guardian.

Please consider how you would like to handle your taxes (W4 form.) If you did not owe any MD income tax last year and do not expect to owe any this year, you can claim EXEMPT. Please ask a close friend or family member how to handle your taxes.

After you have gathered all necessary documents, please make an appointment with Rachel Garcia (, Sherman Hall, Room 347, phone 410.455.5506.