Happy spring semester to all UMBC students, faculty, and staff!
All LRC tutoring will start February 11th. See below how to schedule appointments.
All 100- and 200-level courses and some 300-level ones (Chemistry, Biology, CMPE, IS)
If you want to schedule your own tutoring sessions, once tutoring starts, follow the steps below. Please notice the schedules will be uploaded as tutors confirm their availability, so check the app often:
- Download StudyTree: Assist from the App Store or Google store. (See logo to the left.) Make sure you write StudyTree without space.
- Launch the app and sign in with your UMBC credentials.
- Make sure you allow the app to send you notifications and reminders.
- Tap on the course in which you need tutoring and then on Send.
- Tap on Tutoring and then on one of the options (e.g., Sherman Hall Appointment Tutoring)
- Tap on the tutor and time you want to reserve.
- Go to LRC main office (Sherman 345) and sign in a the front desk.
Students can reserve their own appointments up to two weeks in advance.
If you would like to have a weekly appointment with a tutor, email Ira Fabri at email@example.com.
All tutoring is done in small group of 3-4 students. Each session is 50-minutes long. During the session, students have an opportunity to practice problems, clarify concepts, prepare for quizzes and tests, and share study strategies.
No tutoring available? Do you need accommodations?
Fill out the Tutor Request Form if:
- there is no tutor for your class or none of the times on the schedules work for you;
- you are registered with the Office of Student Disability Services and need accommodations (for example, one-on-one appointments or an ASL interpreter).
Do you need a weekly appointment?
If you would like to have a recurring appointment with a tutor, email Ira Fabri at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are drop-ins possible?
Yes! Come by the LRC and if a tutor is available for a reasonable amount of time you will be able to join a session even if you don’t have an appointment.
Who are LRC Tutors?
All LRC tutors are UMBC students who have taken the class(es) they support and succeeded. They have been recommended by faculty and received formal training.
All tutoring takes place in the Learning Resources Center, Sherman Hall 345. Students will check with the LRC main office, prior to the appointment, to verify the room number.
Students who go to tutoring tell us that they better understand course concepts and are able to apply new techniques they learn in tutoring later on their own. Tutoring is an appointment you make with yourself to study and practice at least once a week. In order to make the most of your tutoring session, prepare for it by bringing concepts and problems you want your tutor to work on with you.
The LRC is an inclusive tutoring center and strives to hire and tutor all students. If you have any questions or concerns about LRC tutoring, please contact us.
Sessions are meant to be tutor-led study groups of up to four students. Sessions will take place in Tutoring Rooms on the 3rd floor of Sherman Hall. These rooms are outfitted with a computer, board, paper, and writing utensils. Students should come prepared with books, notes, and a few questions they would like addressed.