All students who have not yet taken a Math course at UMBC are allowed to retake their Math Placement Test if they are unsatisfied with their scores. If you feel that you did not meet your placement goal, you can retest up to two more times. The retest does not have to happen during your current testing window—you have 6 months or until you start your first Math course at UMBC (whichever comes first) to retake the Math Placement Test.
Before you decide to take the Math Placement Test again, please consider the following information:
- If you have already taken a MATH course at UMBC (even if you withdrew), you CANNOT take the Math Placement Test again to skip a course.
- You can retake the Math Placement Test up to two times by accessing the ALEKS system within one year of your first test attempt. After one year, you cannot retest until your current Math Placement expires.
- There is a mandatory 72 hour “cooling off” period after you first complete the Math Placement Test. In order to take the Math Placement Test again, you MUST wait at least 72 hours AND spend 5 hours working in the Prep and Learning Module for your target course.
- If you are attempting to test for the third and final time, you MUST wait an additional 72 hours and AND spend 8 hours working in the Prep and Learning Module for your target course.
- If you retake the Math Placement Test, only the highest score is kept.
After considering all of these things, if you would still like to retake the Math Placement test, please email email@example.com. You will be asked to confirm that you understand the above information. Once you have confirmed that you understand the information, arrangements will be made for you to return to the Prep and Learning Module and eventually retest.
Please be advised that it will take 24-48 hours for your Math Placement Test score to update. This process is automated and cannot be rushed.
Current Math Placement Intervals and Corresponding Milestone Levels
|Non-Calculus Path||Math PLC Milestone Level and Placement Score||Calculus Path|
|MATH 104||Milestone Level 1
|Retake Math Placement Test|
|MATH 104||Milestone Level 2
|MATH 120 or STAT 121||Milestone Level 3
|MATH 120 or STAT 121||Milestone Level 4
|MATH 131, MATH 132, MATH 150, MATH 155|
|MATH 120 or STAT 121||Milestone Level 5
|MATH 131, MATH 132, MATH 151, MATH 155, MATH 215|